Coconut Oil, Honey and Lemon for Coughs
Coconut oil is rich in antioxidants and contains lauric acid, which is antibacterial and antiviral. Coconut oil can be used to help prevent colds by boosting the immune system. Once the cold is set in, coconut oil can help reduce the length of sickness and can be quite soothing when added to warm honey-lemon water or tea.
Honey has known antibacterial properties that can rid your body of the harmful bacteria causing the cough. Honey is full of vital nutrients including calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium and fluoride that repair and stimulate tissue growth and act as anti-oxidants to remove the harmful free radicals that are in your body. The best honey is low in water content so naturally attracts water to be used in surrounding tissues.
Lemon is very high in vitamin C; in fact, the juice of one lemon contains 1/3 of the recommended daily allowance for an adult. Vitamin C is one of the most important vitamins to help the immune system and it also acts as another powerful anti-oxidant. Lemons also have been shown to have very strong antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup local raw honey
- 2 tablespoons Bouoli Virgin coconut oil
- Mix 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, ¼ cup of honey and 2 tablespoons of Bouoli virgin coconut oil in a sauce pan.
- Heat until the coconut oil is melted; do not boil this mixture!
- Take a tablespoon of the mixture and refrigerate the rest for later.
- Once the cough syrup is cooled the coconut oil will harden. Gently warm the syrup up before using.
- Store in refrigerator for up to a month.